tl;dr… Sheffield finally has Uber and it’s awesome. Use promo code ‘kimbj’ to get £10 off your first ride.
Last week I took my first Uber ride in Sheffield. It was a 16 mile trip that took 35 minutes.
It was 5 minutes to book and cost £8.91 (after a £15 promo discount).
Classically booking taxi rides home from Sheffield to my home town of Barnsley is always a pain. you either have to pre-book and pay up front (in cash at the local taxi rank). Or you have to jump in a black-cab and pay almost double the standard fee.
To make things worse these taxi’s are often unreliable and late with many firms only just getting new technology such as SMS verification to tell you when they are nearby.
Compared to this Uber is a breath of fresh air – you can use their App to view any nearby cabs in real-time on a map, get an instant fare estimate and off you go. Best of all you don’t need any cash as the transaction is covered by a credit card attached to your Uber account.
Why riding Uber in Sheffield was awesome…
- No annoying in-car radio whizzing on/off (“can anyone pick up Julie from Hillsborough in 15 minutes *bzzzt* ?”)
- Pick your own music in the cab by syncing your Spotify (Foo Fighters thank you very much)
- Cheaper and less hassle to book (even without discounts my ride was around £5 cheaper than pre-booking)
- You don’t need cash on you, it’s all covered via credit card (no more scurrying to a cash machine at 2am)
- You can earn free rides and gather promo codes to get money off (always plenty of these about in new cities, look for posters/flyers in bars etc…)
Finally, the driver had chocolate:
— Kimb Jones (@MrKimb) June 12, 2015
Need I say more? If you’re in Sheffield and need to get around then get the Uber app and use my promo code ‘kimbj’ to get £10 off your first ride.